My latest oatmeal ideas have transformed my bowl of mush into an ethereal morning meal. Properly cooked and seasoned, whole grains are among the most efficient, economical and satisfying breakfasts options. Call me crazy, but I think it is much better than the breakfast I see most Baltimorons consuming: a doughnut, coffee and cigarette. I'm not about to join the locals anytime soon. Here are some of my favorite adornments for oatmeal (or any other breakfast grain of your choice):
- quartered figs, honey and a little bit of ricotta cheese
- a tablespoon of warmed or thinned lemon curd with raspberries smushed into bits
- diced apples with a drizzle of boiled cider syrup
- maple syrup and diced pecans
- honey and plain yogurt
- diced peaches, plain yogurt and a sprinkle of brown sugar
- diced pears and honey
- dried cherries and sunflower seed kernels
- sauteed fruit (fried apples or pears are great)
- diced bananas, plain yogurt and a bit of jam
- pomegranate seeds
- dried or fresh pineapple with coconut and almonds
- leftover fruit sauces
- applesauce and yogurt
- romanoff sauce with berries
What is your favorite thing to serve on top of your breakfast grains?
AND, just one more day to enter the giveaway for my favorite spice and a book or your choosing from my shelves (I've got several options for you). Just leave your name and what is your "last meal on earth" in a comment below to be entered.
I'll select a winner on Saturday evening.